Why Is Physical Activity Important?
Regular physical activity can produce long term health benefits. People of all ages, shapes, sizes, and abilities can benefit from being physically active. The more physical activity you do, the greater the health benefits.
Being Physically Active Can Help You:
- Increase your chances of living longer
- Feel better about yourself
- Decrease your chances of becoming depressed
- Sleep well at night
- Move around more easily
- Have stronger muscles and bones
- Remain at or achieve a healthy weight
- Be with friends or meet new people
- Enjoy yourself and have fun
When You Are Not Physically Active, You Are More Likely To:
- Get heart disease
- Get type 2 diabetes
- Have high blood pressure
- Have high blood cholesterol
- Have a stroke
Physical activity and nutrition work together for better health. Being active increases the amount of calories burned. As people age, their metabolism slows down, so maintaining energy balance requires moving more and eating less.